Sep

Get Fit and Turn your Life Around

It’s no secret that regular exercise can help you to lead a longer and healthier life. In fact, regular exercise not only helps you to trim and tone, but it also helps you to avoid illness and in some cases, even prolong your life.

Here at Power Plate, we’re lucky enough to work with 33 year old Cystic Fibrosis sufferer, Kate Smith from London. Kate was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at the age of four and since her diagnosis, she and her parents have done all that they can to ease her condition and suffering.

Cystic Fibrosis is one of the UK’s most common life-threatening diseases. It’s caused by a faulty gene that controls the movement of salt and water in and out of the body. The condition affects the internal organs, especially the lungs and digestive system, by clogging them with sticky mucus making it difficult to breath, digest food and making sufferers more prone to infections and illness.

It is well documented that exercise is one of the best methods to shift the mucus which clogs up the lungs, so from an early age Kate has thrown herself into exercise and tried to lead a healthy and active life. As part of her regular exercise regime, Kate trains on her Power Plate, which she believes is a vital tool – helping her to keep active and well. “As I hold poses on the Power Plate, the vibration makes muscles contract and relax helping to clear mucus from my body,” she explains. “My lung function has increased and it’s a huge boost to feel my body getting stronger.”

At 29, Kate was given a life expectancy of just 31, but Kate has defied this two-year life expectancy and is now 33, working full-time with young offenders as a Treatment Manager. Kate admits that fitting exercise around a busy job can often be difficult, but according to her, it’s definitely worthwhile: “Being able to use my Power Plate just a couple of times a day is fantastic for my health. Even when I’m really tired, I can do gentle exercise on it, so it’s perfect if i feel ill and the thought of a jog is too daunting. It’s a great cardio workout that vibrates my lungs and keeps my bum in shape too! Since I’ve had it I haven’t been admitted to hospital at all.”

As well as working full-time, Kate also raises funds for Cystic Fibrosis. If you would like to help her to continue her fantastic work, please visit www.ivebeenkittened.com. You can also read Kate’s inspiring story in the Prima Summer Special, on shelves now.